Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Rose By Any Other Name...






On Monday, my great niece may find out whether she will be a big sister to a boy or girl! She is a little young to appreciate the excitement that surrounds this but for her parents it narrows down one of the biggest decisions a new parent makes - the name.

I don't believe a child truly appreciates what a parent goes through in making such an important decision. In fact, no one can until they are in the position themselves. I know I didn't! And sadly, I, too, grew up not appreciating the name given to me - Judith.

My story starts with a traumatic kindergarten experience. My mother had prepared me for my first day of school. I knew my personal information and how to write my name. But on that very first day I brought home a note from Mrs. Fink (a bit of foreshadowing) that stated I did not know how to write my name. I knew how to write Judy but not Judith and Judith was how I was legally registered for class! I have never forgotten how humiliated I felt that first day and how I cried. Obviously, that experience colored my view of my own name.

It wasn't until many years later that I had the opportunity to ask my mother why I was named Judith. She said that my sister named me after her Sunday school teacher. Now, my sister was a mere three years old at the time so whether it was that she loved that teacher or that my mother loved and trusted that teacher, I am not sure. It does not matter because for someone that today is finishing another year of teaching after 27 years it immediately changed the way I saw my name!

Today, I carry the name proudly knowing that another servant for Christ, who had a love for some of the youngest in God's kingdom, carried it before me and made such an impression that her name was found worthy to be handed down to me. For it has been one of my greatest joys and privileges in life to share the story of Christ's love to His children!



"When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty." Jeremiah 15:16

No comments:

Post a Comment