Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Lockhart - Barbeque Capitol of Texas
















My husband and I made a day trip to Austin today and we were lucky to have the time to swing through Lockhart and have lunch. Though Lockhart is the barbeque capitol of Texas, it is also the town where my grandmother (on my mother's side) called home.

Now you can Google search the story of Black's, Kreuz's and Smitty's Market barbeque but the Strawn family story would only be known to my sister, Pat, and myself. To give you an analogy the watermelon is to Luling (http://www.watermelonthump.com/) what barbeque is to Lockhart, therefore, when in town a trip to Kreuz' or Black's to eat was a highlight. (You'll have to Google search Kreuz's to see why I didn't include Smitty's Market.) http://www.texasmonthly.com/magazine/bbq

The problem arose when my Uncle Olsie was in town because his favorite was Kreuz's. Grandmother's and mother's favorite was Black's. Honestly the quality of food was pretty equal. And if you think that we could decide based on the atmosphere or the furnishings or perhaps the place settings - you can see from the picture that even today not much has changed. The decision about where to eat is personal and there is really just one thing to remember...
It's about the barbeque not the ambience! (And the memories!)

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."
Matthew 5:6

No comments:

Post a Comment