Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Happy "New Birth" Day To Me!


Forty-six years ago today on September 8, 1963, I made a public profession of faith and was baptized by Dr. K. Owen White at the old First Baptist Church in downtown Houston. It was days prior to this that I had knelt with my mother in our home and asked Jesus to live in my heart. I remember the emotion and heavy burden I felt when I went to my mother with my decision and the tenderness with which she led me through the simple prayer of salvation. And what relief I felt that at that moment when I knew that nothing in the future could separate me from the love of God.

In my parents first home there was an over-stuffed arm chair that I loved. When I laid across the arms with my head resting on one arm and my legs just reaching over the other, it felt as though I was being lovingly cradled. As a child, I believed that me cradled in that arm chair was a picture of my relationship with Jesus – whenever I needed Him, He was there to pick me up and carry me if I needed Him to. Little did I know how accurate that picture was! Throughout these forty-six years I have had a loving Father ever present to walk me through the most difficult of roads and the happiest of times. If I ever felt that He wasn’t near, it was I that had moved away from Him. It is a very real and personal relationship that gives my life meaning and makes every decision easier because it is made with His will for my life the first priority.

I am so grateful that God loved me so much that He provided me with a Kinsmen Redeemer so that my name can be found in the Lamb’s Book of Life. I am thankful, too, for Christian parents that saw to it that we were in church every Sunday so that the legacy of faith they had been blessed with was passed to me and on to my children.

The most important thing about salvation is that it is a free gift for those who believe that Christ died for our sins and on the third day rose from the grave. Trust Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and receive Him by personal invitation. It doesn’t matter at what age you come to Christ – just come!

Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”
John 3:3

No comments:

Post a Comment