Saturday, October 9, 2010

GREECE... (It was AMAZING!!)

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (Buses)

Planes...

Seated and ready for the 10:40AM flight to Newark. (And, yes, there is an age at which you stop taking pictures at arm's length!)



Relaxed breakfast at the President's Club in Newark, New Jersey. (A picture of God's grace considering how I had been anticipating the long flight ahead!)


Tony happy with his endless supply of preflight coffee! (Actually, he's just relieved that his wife doesn't appear panicked over the next leg of the trip! Ha!)

My first time in Business First! What a difference!

Who knew you got a menu?!


Actually, this was just the beginning of our "eating our way through Greece"!

They included a piece on the chef but it was written in Greek and that should have been my first clue of things to come!

Flights lined up and ready to go at Newark.


Almost there!!!

Nine hours later and Tony looks like he slept well!

Our first look at Greece!

The countryside!

So anxious to land and can't seem to stop taking pictures! We are landing in Athens but as I later came to realize these pictures are taken of the countryside outside of Athens.

Our first stop in the Athens airport!

This is Demetrius who met us at the airport. I was soooooooo glad to see him after we got our baggage. He was so kind, enthusiastic, and though he had a heavy accent he was quite willing to answer all our questions. The woman he is talking to became a sweet friend out of Washington State by the name of Jenny. (Sorry the picture is blurred but Greeks like to talk with their hands which has led Tony to believe that I must have some Greek blood!)

At this point, we have caught up with the rest of the group and are headed to the train station! This is the first time Tony and I have ever traveled with a group and I must say that if we ever travel internationally again I would chose group travel. That said, I am sure our experience was wonderful because it was a group of like-minded individuals who were seeking the same things out of this experience and so in the future I would seek to do the same. This is just the first of many posts and I hope that the fun we had and the relationships we developed and the reasons it was amazing will be revealed as I write! It was truly a God ordained time!

Okay, I took this picture out the bus window because everything was written in Greek with the Greek alphabet!! Now I know you must be saying "well, duh, Judy!" I don't know exactly what I was expecting but I guess since I live in a world where everything now is written in English and Spanish I think I had an expectation of seeing some English on occasion. And we didn't which gave a whole new meaning to the saying, "It's all Greek to me!"

Okay, so after 13 hours we have arrived in Athens and after another 20 minutes by bus to the train station we would be travelling by train to Thessalonikki where we would be spending three nights. The train trip took approximately 4 to 41/2 hours and we would be eating lunch on the train?! And that will begin the next post!


The steps of a man are established by the LORD,
And He delights in his way.
When he falls, he will not be hurled headlong,
Because the LORD is the One who holds his hand.
Psalm 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment